This best-selling dictionary is an authoritative and comprehensive source of jargon-free legal information. It contains over 4,700 entries that clearly define the major terms, concepts, processes, and the organization of the English legal system.
- More than 4,700 clear, jargon-free entries
- Defines all the major legal terms, concepts, processes, and the organization of the English legal system, and provides a useful source of information for the many countries that base their legal system upon English law
- Covers important new legislation in areas such as criminal law, constitutional law, and administrative law
- Includes terms from European, international, human rights, and environmental law
- The Writing and Citation Guide included is helpful for those writing legal papers and reports
- Incorporates many recommended web links, accessed and kept up to date via the Dictionary of Law companion website, and attached to both individual entries and listed in the Online Legal Resources appendix
- New to this edition
Fully revised and updated content reflecting the very latest legislation, including changes in the status of the Law Lords, the Equality Act and related anti-discrimination legislation, and recent changes to criminal and administrative law
Over 120 new entries - from Clinical Commissioning Groups and General Anti-Abuse Rule to reasonable adjustment and universal credit.
Entries have been fully updated for this edition to incorporate the latest legislation, including entries on foreign national offenders, Police and Crime Commissioners, corporate manslaughter, and settlement agreements, and there is a useful Writing and Citation Guide that specifically addresses problems and established conventions for writing legal essays and reports. Now providing more information than ever before, this edition features recommended web links for many entries, which are accessed and kept up to date via the Dictionary of Law companion website.
Described by leading university lecturers as 'the best law dictionary' and 'excellent for non-law students as well as law undergraduates', this classic dictionary is an invaluable source of legal reference for professionals, students, and anyone else needing succinct clarification of legal terms. Focusing primarily on English law, it also provides a one-stop source of information for any of the many countries that base their legal system on English law.
Best for students and lecturers of law, professional lawyers, and anyone needing clear definitions of legal terms.